Domestic violence is all around us.
One in four women and one in six men are victims of domestic violence. It can affect our families, friends, children, coworkers, neighbors, and many more. Although we are not always aware that it is happening, domestic and intimate partner violence is not biased to age, gender, socioeconomic class, or religion.
Did you know…
- Every nine seconds a woman in the United States is beaten.
- Domestic violence results in more injuries that require medical attention than rape, accidents, and muggings combined.
- Nationally, one out of five murder victims are killed by an intimate partner.
- Children who grow up in violent homes can come to believe that violence is normal. They believe that it is an acceptable way to treat and control someone else.
- Violence can be passed from one generation to the next in homes where domestic violence occurs.
- More than 200,000 phone calls are placed to DV hotlines every year.
- In Connecticut, 1/3 of all criminal court cases involve domestic violence.